[Discussion] why does vape lite unsigned have a bigger file size and a LOT of "false positives"?

WyattVapes

Social Credit
So i virustotalled vape lite and vape lite signed and I got some interesting results.

The unsigned one has a LOT of detections and chrome AND windows defender gave me a lot of shit for downloading it. The file size is also exactly, 100KB bigger for some odd reason... Is vape.gg compromised? or is this just a flag from the files suspicious nature of not having a signing certificate? Even if that were the case, I can't imagine why the unsigned one would be a larger file. You would think the more content a file had the larger it would be right? Strange in my opinion. I'll leave the virustotal links so you guys can decide for yourselves and stay informed. No hate to Manthe or anything, I'm 100% positive he doesn't have any malicious intent toward anyone or especially any of us, his customers but this is certainly raising a small red flag in my book. Let me know what you guys think below, and have a good day everyone!

Signed: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...888282a5b9a90fbfd2a13984aec31746aff/detection

Unsigned: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...a5e042321273abe74c166ff39b6b33444f0/detection

VapeV4 VapeLite

rofl

Social Credit
Vape lite unsigned is detected like a trojan, it's normal cuz it's not signed and it's also the reason why vape lite signed can be downloaded

In the FAQ (vape.gg/download)
You should typically always use the normal versions whenever possible, however if you have an anti-virus on your computer preventing you from running Vape, you may want to try using the signed version instead as it should allow you to run it.

And you really think vape lite is a trojan?

James

Retired Customer Support
Social Credit
I can't really tell you why one file size is bigger than the other because I'm not a dev, but I can tell you that none of our products will ever have any viruses, malware, or other vulnerabilities present in them that allow us or other 3rd parties to do harm to you. I have responded to this exact issue many times before, so I will do this again.

Simply put: we are too big to fail. We are a registered company in the US (Manthe Industries LLC), which gives us credibility as if we were to do anything like that, we would be liable to lawsuits and other legal damages. We have been in the business of selling Minecraft cheats for almost 4 years now. Vape is every one of our employee's main source of income. There is too much riding on Vape for us to risk damaging our business, our brand, or our product with malicious code.

All of the virus warnings that Vape throws with anti-viruses are simply due to the nature of how Vape works, and how it stays undetectable in an SS. To put it simply, without giving away too much, Vape doesn't keep local files on your computer beyond the .exe file. In order to keep user settings and profiles, you have to download them. You do not download them over an unsecured connection because hypothetically your network traffic could be monitored in an SS and they'd be able to see you downloading that stuff, so we send it encrypted. When anti-viruses see unsigned applications downloading encrypted code, that's a code red (at least for them). Normal applications download encrypted code all the time, for example you download encrypted code when you visit any https:// site. Those normal applications are also signed though, which gives the application credibility as a signature is a proof of authorship and therefore proof of liability on the developers.

I hope this makes sense. You are more than welcome to ask any of our customers or any of your friends who have Vape if they've ever had any bad experiences with it. We have never, and will never use malicious code in our programs.